Thursday, October 4, 2007

EASIER PHOTO TOOLS AND NOW PHOTO UPLOADS

(This was an email sent to FanChatter users -- all 100 of us! -- on 10/4/07. Sign up here to be included on future emails and Call 'Em Like You See 'Em.)

Get ready Sports Fans,

Not only is football heating up and the MLB playoffs are here, but Dane Cook has been fired... we wish. No, but FanChatter did just get a whole lot better. Here's how...

MOBILE INSTRUCTIONS

First, many of you were confused by our mobile instructions, so we made them easier. Basically, FanChatter uses email addresses instead of numeric short codes for posting chatter via text message or email. You may not have known you can send text messages to an email address, but you can (unless you have a "smart phone" that only allows texting to numeric addresses, in which case you should mobile chatter via your email account on that so-called "smart phone" of yours).

Why do we do it this way? Because it allows us to assign each group its own mobile address. For example, to enter mobile chatter in the Broadcast Sports group, text or email from your activated phone or email address to "media@fanchatter.com". Every group page displays its own mobile address, and you create the mobile address when you create a group.

Using FanChatter without using FanChatter's mobile tools is like man using only 10% of his brain. Let me tell you a story...

Late last Saturday night I was torn over who to start in my fantasy football leagues. I chattered in the Fantasy Football group about my choices and asked for help, but it was late and I didn't expect to get any feedback until morning (if I was lucky), so I shut down my computer and went to bed.

Suddenly my phone buzzed. I had a text message. Turns out it was a chatter alert from the Fantasy Football group (which I'm subscribed to). JJDacotah had seen my chatter and posted his advice. Chances are he wasn't on the FanChatter site at the moment I posted, so he must have received a chatter alert on his phone or email and answered me right away, also probably from his phone or email. I chattered back from my phone thanking him, and his advice turned out to be right on, including starting Marshawn Lynch over Lamont "You Big Dummy" Jordan.

Just remember to manage who you're subscribed to. Like me, for instance. I chatter A LOT, especially during the big games, so remove me from your Lineup if your phone starts buzzing too much. Subscribing to groups (instead of- or in addition to other fans) is another good way to go if you're only interested in receiving chatter alerts about certain sports or topics.

So mobile instructions getting easier is the first thing, which makes the second thing really cool...

PHOTOS! YES PHOTOS!

You can now post photos to FanChatter from your phone or email. Take a picture from the game or the bar using your camera phone and send it in to your page or to a group for everyone to see. Show us what your face looks like when your team wins or loses, or when Brad Childress fails to use Adrian Peterson in the second half, except on frickin' kick-off returns. Yeah, I'd like to see that picture.

Easier mobile instructions. Photo chatter (with- or without captions -- here's one of my dog the USC fan). Enjoy.

Marty

Learn more about building a mobile sports fan chat utility at THE BLOG TO BE NAMED LATER...

PS - This letter was getting long, so I'm breaking out our latest This Week in Chatter -- or "TWiCh" -- highlights into a second email. Thanks to everyone for using the site, and chatter back soon...

No comments: